(reposted from Cycling Canada: http://www.cyclingcanada.ca/sport/cycling/news/golden-day-for-canada-in-road-races-at-para-cycling-world-cup/)
Gautier and Croteau find winning ways in Italy
(Ottawa, ON – June 6, 2015) Canada’s Shelley Gautier (WT1) and Marie-Ève Croteau (WT2) both raced to the top of the podium in the first road race of the 2015 season, bouncing back from silver and bronze medals in Friday’s time trial.
Gautier stopped the clock at 52:47 after 21.3 kilometers of racing the Women’s T1 category, crossing the finish line 22 seconds before her closest competitor, Yulia Sibagatova of Russia.
Racing in the Women’s T2 category, Croteau returned to the top of the podium after suffering from severe health issues, which began just before the 2012 Paralympic Games. Croteau showed a 20-second lead when crossing the finish line after 45:38 of racing.
Through her rehabilitation, Croteau showed impressive perseverance and determination. And today, the dividends paid off with the gold medal, perfectly following the strategy set forth by the coaching staff.
“Being aware of very limited training in January due to the serious health problem that I had, which deprived me of almost four months of training, I now find myself with two World Cup podiums, said Croteau. “Honestly, I admit that it was a difficult challenge to get here, but I was also trying not to apply that pressure on myself. With my coach Eric Van Den Eynde, we had goals and strategies. We are especially very happy with my road race, in which I applied our strategy to the letter. Thank you to all the staff of Cycling Canada.”
The World Cup in Maniago ends Sunday with the presentation of more road races.
RESULTS – ROAD RACE – UCI PARA-CYCLING WORLD CUP – MANIAGO, ITA
1. GAUTIER, Shelley WT1 CANADA 52:47
2. SIBAGATOVA, Yulia WT1 RUSSIA 53:09 +0:22
3. PEROVA, Svetlana WT1 RUSSIA 1:03:25 +10:38
1. CROTEAU, Marie-Eve WT2 CANADA 45:38
2. MAJUNKE, Jana WT2 INDEPENDANT 45:58 +0:20
3. DINES, Hannah WT2 GREAT BRITAIN 46:03 +0:25
1. MAZZONE, Luca MH2 ITALY 1:37:12
2. FANKHAUSER, Tobias MH2 SWITZERLAND 1:37:57 +0:45
3. HINDRICQ, Christophe MH2 BELGIUM 1:39:55 +2:43
5. LABBE, Robert MH2 CANADA 1:49:19 +12:07
1. WEBER, Max MH3 INDEPENDANT 1:45:32
2. DEBERG, Jean Francois MH3 BELGIUM ST
3. TARSIM, Riadh MH3 INDEPENDANT 1:45:38 +0:06
9. MOREAU, Charles MH3 CANADA 1:46:19 +0:47
1. CALCAGNI, Carlo MT2 INDEPENDANT 50:08
2. DURST, Hans-Peter MT2 INDEPENDANT 50:15 +0:07
3. FUCHS, Goldy MT2 SOUTH AFRICA 53:27 +3:19
12. CORRIVEAU JOLIN, Louis-Albert MT2 CANADA 56:08 +6:00